Archive for the ‘Home Furnishing Ideas’ Category
Plantation shutters are wide slats or louvers installed on windows. They allow maximum light and air into a room. The shutters come in varied designs. This makes them suitable for use in an home, office or other settings.
Plantation shutters were first used in the Middle Ages. The name “plantation” stems from the fact they were widely used in plantation farm homes in the Caribbean and the U.S during warm climates. Since then plantation shutters have been used as decoration in many homes. Homeowners have been charmed by the aesthetic appeal and functionality of these louvers.
How to Buy Plantation Shutters
- Take measurements of the windows form the top molding to the windowsill to determine the height of the shutters.
- Figure out the width by measuring the width of the top, middle and bottom of the window. Use the largest width measurement. In many cases, the width of windows will vary slightly.
- Determine the number of panels to be used with each window. Homeowners can use two panels for standard sized windows so that they close in the center and open on either side. Small windows look better with a single shutter, while bay windows look good with four or more panels to cover the entire area.
- Determine the slat size. The size of plantation shutters typically range between 2 ½ – 4 ½ inches. Wider slats are preferred by many homeowners because they allow more light into a room and have clean and modern lines. On the other hand, shutters with small slats are suitable for traditional homes.
- Determine how the shutters should be mounted. If the homeowner wants the shutters to be mounted in such a way that they open flat against the wall, then there is need for an interior mount close to the window.
- Contact a home improvement store and find out the price of the desired shutter size and style. Research online stores and find out their pricing as well.
- Compare the prices and styles available in conventional and online stores. This will help an individual get a general understanding of prices and choose where to purchase the products.
- At this point, homeowners should decide whether they would install the shutters on their own or hire a contractor to do the job. If hiring a contractor pick one from the company where the shutters will be purchased. Many companies reduce the cost of installation with a purchase.
- Those who prefer purchasing online should still visit home improvement stores to view their options. Visiting the stores in person gives a homeowner the opportunity to view the products in person and get a feel of how the products will look in their homes.
- Ask for swatches if uncertain on how the plantation shutters will complement the look of the house. Many online retailers send these to clients for free. Traditional stores have catalogues and brochures featuring their products. These can be useful resources when searching for plantation shutters.
Place an order if one has decided on the shutter and installation details.
If there is one thing that we know around here, it is used furniture. While we understand the need to upgrade your digs every so often, there’s a lot of value that can be found in the items most people would be happy to discard. We’re living proof of this—we’ve built an entire business around taking in all types of furnishings that people were ready to say goodbye too.
But just because something has been around for a while doesn’t mean it’s completely without worth. If you’re looking for some interesting ideas for furniture in your home then check out 12 Clever Uses for Old Furniture from HGTV.
A lot of people search and find the perfect piece of cheap discount furniture for their home and there it sits until they decide to get something different. But there are other people, less common, who enjoy a real fixer upper when it comes to their furniture. The latest article from Dave White is directed right at these sorts of people. It is all about the pros and cons of reupholstering furniture, and is aptly titled: “Hazards And Advantages of Reupholstering Furniture.”
So are you someone who’s interested in reupholstering furniture for the first time? Interested to learn whether it’s a waste of time or a worthwhile activity? You’ll find the answers in Hazards And Advantages of Reupholstering Furniture.
We know a lot about used furniture. After all, as the largest hotel liquidators in CT, we’ve spent years helping our customers find quality discount furniture. UHL’s president, Dave White, thought that it would be a good idea to share some of the knowledge he’d collected over the years running the best used furniture store on the east coast. While his tips vary, you’ll see they’re not that different from picking the perfect melon.
The article, which was published on EzineArticles.com, is called, “How do you check the condition of used hotel furniture?”
In the article Dave points out the importance of paying attention to things such as odor, insect damage and much more. Feel free to take a look and let us know what you guys think.
First and foremost, we would like to wish happy holidays to everyone. 2012 has been quite a year for us. It brought about a lot of change that we’re still really excited about. We’re now just settling into our new location on the Boston Post Road in West Haven. The new digs are perfect for us because it makes helping people find high quality discount furniture, even easier.
If you’re not happy with the furnishings in your home and you’re looking for a change without having to break the bank, then visit our new showroom. Just take a look at the huge selection of hotel quality discount furniture. We have dressers, televisions, couches and much, much more. All the things you need to make your house a home. And not only do the items we have in store cost less, but they’re made to be sturdier and more reliable because of the commercial environment of hotels. And when could be a better time to make a change than now as we wait to usher in a new year?
We’re looking forward to 2013 and all of the great things it brings. Happy holidays everyone, stay safe.
I’m sure many pet owners can relate to this one! Check out this brand new video and let us know what you guys think! And please subscribe to the UHL YouTube Channel above and don’t forget to thumbs us up just below the video!
Buying a home is one of the most expensive things you can do. It’s a purchase that many people spend years paying off. But what if you could get a house for a thousand dollars instead of a hundred thousand? It may sound outlandish but one MIT student, Ying chee Chui, set out to design a 1k house. She got pretty close, her prototype came in at around five thousand dollars but much of the added expense was due to it being the first of its kind and larger than the original design had intended. This project has been slated as a permanent housing solution to poverty stricken, high population areas–as well as for areas devastated by national disasters. We think this is a worthwhile endeavor and we hope the 1K Housing Project keeps going strong. If you’d like to know more about the 1k House then you can read the full article here.
We all know that spring cleaning is just around the corner, but why stop there? Go all the way with spring remodeling with help from Universal Hotel Liquidators. We’ve got all the furniture and the ideas to give any stuffy room a fresh start. And with our cut-throat prices you can do it without breaking the bank.
Do you have trouble getting work done? Have you ever thought that the culprit might not be your work ethic but the space you’re in? This furniture package is great for anyone who’s ever wanted a home office—or anyone that has one and needs an upgrade. You can get this desk, a lamp and a chair all for under $250!
Read the rest of this entry »